Sunday, February 15, 2015

Tasting- Gnarly Head Pinot Grigio

Tasting- Gnarly Head Pinot Grigio

Name: Gnarly Head
Variety: 100% Pinot Grigio
Country: United States
Region: California
Year: 2013
Price: $9.99

Winery Review:
Gnarly Head Pinot Grigio is crafted for the adventurous—boldly fruit-driven, with bright flavors and zesty acidity. Our winemakers carefully select grapes from California’s finest growing regions, choosing only the best fruit. Gnarly Pinot Grigio proves that white wine can be bold and racy. It’s a refreshing, mouthwatering wine with bright acidity and mineral notes, the perfect sipper for every occasion.

My Review:
Admittedly, my introduction to Gnarly Head was a bit botched. First, there were issues opening the thing (which is an issue I haven't had yet) but then on an initial taste I was not a fan at all. I found the acidity to be too overwhelming, disguising other flavors and just being flat-out repulsive. However, after a quick chill, the wine turned into another creature entirely and I got hints of apricot, apple, and even some pear. However, I still found the wine a bit dry but chilling it did cause the wine to improve significantly.

I did not have this wine with food.

Fun bonus
So here's a picture of the state in which the cork was in when I finally was able to extract it:



Yeah, traditional methods just didn't work. Eventually, after I had used the usual screw one too man times, enough cork had been eviscerated to make it impossible for the screw to find any purchase. So I did the reasonable thing and decided to attack the sides of the cork with a knife to pry it loose enough for extraction. It worked and amazingly enough got absolutely no cork in the wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment